Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Gone Fishin'

The kids and I prepared all day to head out for our evening fishing outing after Dad got off work.  'We' got the food ready and loaded up the car.  We seriously could have stayed for a couple of days if we would have packed a tent :).  Matt got home, we broke out the new 'Diego' pole, stopped and got some worms, and headed to George Wyth.  It was very fun.  Madison was very excited to get her pole in the water and once she did, she was impressively patient (even for her) as she stood very serious watching and waiting for her bobber to sink.  After a few 'false alarms', she reeled in the big one.  Soon after, they were headed up to a different spot... which is one of my favorite pictures.   You can see her and Matt trucking it up to the top... Matt several steps ahead.  Another favorite of mine is the look on Matt's face as he casts the Diego pole... his 'serious' look just like he is casting his pole into deep water.  I love that he tries just as hard (if not harder) to help Madison catch a 3 oz fish as he does when he's fishing for himself. So fun.  T-man didn't hold the pole although he was very entertained with the worms, dirt, touching fish, and the snacks.  He actually sat on my lap for quite some time at the beginning enjoying just watching... this doesn't often happen with this little man.









We caught a few little ones and grilled some burgers.  There was a guy (about our age) fishing up on a 'rock' beside us.  I felt a bit bad the whole time as we were a bit of a crazy crew for a guy who was probably just trying to have a quiet evening out with his pole.  Anyways, while we were eating, Madison says, "Mom, how come he's not eating?  We should give him a cheeseburger".  I loved this 'faith like a child' comment.  It's a great example of why God wants us to have faith like a child.  It was so simple and obvious to her... 'we are eating, he doesn't have any food, why don't we take him some food'.  I thought of the verse about Jesus saying, 'For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in...".  Now obviously this guy isn't starving or homeless... but he may have been hungry... and that's all it says.  Anyways, us adults make things so complicated... it's actually pretty simple.  Never wanting this simplicity to leave her, Madison and I carried our extra cheeseburger up and offered it to this fisherman.  He happily accepted it and we were on our way.  Love it when my kids teach me more than I have taught them...

1 comment:

  1. Love this.... Thank you for sharing. You have a pretty special little girl there. :)

    ReplyDelete