Tuesday, September 18, 2012

One Last 'Mimi' Time



Madison has loved her pacifier (which later got identified as a 'mimi') since day one.  It was her comfort.  When she was two we decided to limit it to her room.  She could have it as long as she was in the boundry of her bedroom.  Some moments of the day you would see her laying on our hardwood floor by the door with her blanket and mimi.  If things got overwhelming, you would usually find her retreating to her room to her little sanctuary.  It calmed her during naps and bedtimes and was definitely one of her favorite things.  I knew we were going to have to get rid of it at some point, but I wasn't looking forward to the day.  I decided long ago, when Eliott turned one, that we would get rid of them together.  I decided to work on Eliott first.  Well that planned backfired as that simply did not go well.  I soon realized that I had taken away Eliott's only tool of comfort other than my arms.  Little to no sleep later (about a week), Matt and I decided it was time to give in.  I am not a quitter, but this was crazy.  I dug the binky back out and give it to him.  Well, he looked at it like he had never seen it before, put it in his mouth and chewed it a few times, then returned it back to me.  It was like he had no idea what to do with it.   Well, we were stuck.  Sooner or later (month(s)), he figured it out and is now a great sleeper.  I said through it all that I would never do that again but it is definitely nice now.  All that to say I was not eager to go through that again.  Well, after a friend had visited the dentist with her 3 yr old and told me that binky's do have potential of hurting their teeth, I figured it was time.  Plus I felt a bit better blaming it on someone else.  Madison and I talked about what the dentist said and decided it was time to give them up.  A friend of Madison's just had a baby brother and we came up with the idea of giving them to baby Kaiden, who 'really needed them', and then heading to the store to pick out something special for her to sleep with.  She was all for it.  A few days later, she was still for it (I was still in hesitation mode).  I felt like I was giving up a bit of my 'little baby girl' and felt a bit sad when I told her she had better go in and snuggle in for one last 'mimi time'.  She did, then packed the last one up in the bag and headed over to give them to Kaiden.  She handed them over to Kaiden and then we went to the store.  She found a little monkey she liked, played a little while with the trains, and then we headed home.  Much to my surprise she didn't seem to care much at all that she didn't have a mimi anymore.  She has only asked about them a handful of times and had no problem sleeping.  I think it was much overdue... what can I say.  This mom stuff always has you guessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment