Thursday, January 27, 2011

life as the deuce ...





When we found out we were pregnant, we decided we wanted to be surprised as to whether or not we would have another precious little girl or our first boy. So from day one, Matt called our baby "the deuce", since we couldn't use he/she and were tired of saying 'it'. When Eliott made his entrance into the world, Matt looked at me and said, "We have two kids, whoa." And it has been a whirlwind ever since. I have often felt like Eliott gets such little attention, since Big sister has a way of often 'needing' something, or just wants me to put 'El-tee-tee' in his swing so I can hold her for awhile. When I begin to feel bad, I remind myself that the less attention he gets from me, he gets twice as much from his older sister that Madison never had. He loves watching and talking to his big sister. If I can set him close to her, he is endlessly entertained. Watching these two together has been my favorite part of the whole process!

My favorite day of being a mom happened a couple of weeks ago. It was another moment that made me think, 'I need to write this stuff down'. When I got home from work, I laid Madison down for her nap and got an hour of a sit down lunch and a 'Scratch Bakery' cupcake that Matt had stopped home to bring me, with my favorite boy on my lap, flashing huge smiles at me. As soon as he drifted off to sleep, Madison woke up and I got to play 'put your dolls to sleep' without having the interruption of feeding, changing, or holding baby brother. When Eliott decided he'd had enough of the sleeping stuff, I brought him in to play with us. I tried to get him to go back to sleep. After many minutes of little success, I set him in the crib with his big sister. She slowly began to 'tuck' him in with her collection of 20-or-so stuffed animals and blankets in her crib. By the time the stack was piled 3 ft high around her new favorite 'doll', Eliott was clonked out. I just sat in amazement, since he always needs 'rocked' to sleep, or at least rocked until he is very sleepy, and he is usually very hard to put back to sleep after he has already napped. I could do nothing other than grab my camera and snap some shots.

So being a mom of two has been a crazy busy time, but I have loved (almost) EVERY moment of it. The best part... once I have reached my point of frustration, one of my two kids does something that I cannot help but crack a smile. So fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment