Monday, June 6, 2011

Poopy in the potty... mmm???



Let's start by saying that I had the great idea (against many people advice) to try to potty train Madison about 6 weeks after Eliott was born... needless to say it did not go well. At about day 2 1/2 she didn't want to sit on the potty at all during the day, but when night time rolled around, all she wanted to do was get out of bed and sit on the potty. Oh my. My next goal was to try it when Eliott was sleeping through the night. Well, opposed to great effort by Matt and I, 7 months later we still have many late night visits with our favorite little man. Finally, I decided that when I was done with school, potty training was my first goal.

Well... I have been 'warming' Madison up to the idea of wearing big girl underwear and sitting on the potty but haven't asked her to do it yet. We have worked on the 'poopy face', which is what your face looks like when you go poopy. And finally, the most important part if you ask Miss Madison, you get m&m's if you go potty on the potty. We have been against 'reward' parenting, but I decided I will carry around M&M's for as long as it takes to get this little girl trained.

Anyway, the other night Madison was running around the living room before bathtime with no clothes on. She all of a sudden had the bright idea to sit on the potty. She sat there for about a second and a half and stood up and said, "M&M Mommy!?". I told her to turn around and look to see if there was peepee in the potty. She turned around and smiled big and shook her head yes. I looked and we then had a talk about what it means to tell the truth and tell a lie. So she sat back down. She then looked at me and made the 'poopy face' and stood back up. Pointed to the potty and said, "M&M, Mommy!?". I stood up, looked in the potty, and sure enough she had pooped in the potty!!! I about fell over. I thought peepee in the potty would go well, but I thought pooping would be a challenge. She proved me wrong and I was pumped (as I thought to myself, 'oh the things we now get excited about as parents)! We actually didn't have a single M&M in the house at that moment, but I was more than happy to clothe my little girl, load her up in the van, and head to the gas station for her to pick out her very own pack of M&M's. I wanted to let her eat the whole pack but realized I had to be in this for the long run. She picked out two orange M&M's (2 for poopy :)) and happily ate them.

What a day. I am hoping I don't post a blog a few weeks after starting our actual potty training in complete distress. I'm enjoying the moment while it lasts :).

No comments:

Post a Comment